Sunday, September 14, 2008

Anyone's Apple Pie

The classic American dessert has always been one of my favorite foods. In fact, I celebrated childhood birthdays by blowing out candles in an apple pie instead of a cake. This recipe, which I adapted from the "No Sugar Apple Pie" recipes on All Recipes, is naturally sweetened with apple juice instead of sugar, and contains no milk ingredients.

Ingredients:
  • 2 pie crusts (I use and love the refrigerated ones by Pillsbury, though I can't claim they are "all natural")
  • 6 cups sliced apples
  • 1 cup apple juice, cider, or apple juice concentrate (use concentrate for a
    sweet pie, or cider for a more tart one)
  • 1 tablespoon cinnamon
  • 3 tablespoons cornstarch

  • Directions:
    In a large saucepan, simmer apples with 2/3 cup (reserve 1/3 cup) apple juice and cinnamon until apples are tender, about 10 minutes. In a small bowl or measuring cup, whisk remaining 1/3 cup apple juice with cornstarch. Stir cornstarch and juice mixture into simmering apples. (I no longer stir the cinnamon into the cornstarch mixture because I learned, thanks to a two year old helper, that it is nearly impossible to get a tablespoon of sticky spilled cinnamon out of a carpet!) Continue to simmer until thickened. Remove from heat. Line a 9" pie plate with one crust and fill with apple mixture. Cover with top crust, seal edges, and cut steam vents. Line oven rack with foil to prevent drips on the bottom of the oven. Bake pie in a preheated oven until crust is golden brown. (The recipe I had recommends 45 minutes at 350 degrees, but my crusts don't usually brown in that time; I will try 425 degrees for 30 minutes next time). Cool, slice, and enjoy!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment