Thursday, March 17, 2011

Festive Flowers and Other Bits O' Green


For this week's Exploration Day, I chose a fun science experiment that combined our study of water with the arrival of spring and even St. Patrick's Day. I trimmed some white mums from my potted plant and put them in three different containers. We filled one glass with clear water, one with water tinted yellow (using food coloring), and one dark green water. After a day, we could easily see where the water went into the flower petals!



It was perfectly fitting on this St. Patrick's Day that it was also our first day of spring-like weather. The children and I were able to venture outside - which reminded me of a similar day last March - and for the first time, tiny bits of green were poking through all that was brown and dead! We caught glimpses of daffodil leaves sprouting up beside the driveway, and there were even some other signs of life:



I have to wonder if, when we live somewhere that's always warm and sunny, we will have such an appreciation for the new season. It is the cold and drafty days of winter, the drab brown and white landscape, and the darkness that make us appreciate the warmth and light and colors of spring. The promise that spring is around the corner gets us through the dreary gray days of late winter, knowing that life will soon return to the frozen ground. Since it is possible that this may be our family's last March in New England, I hope to soak up as much of the joy of the season as I can, relishing God's faithfulness in delivering us from darkness year after year. From festive flowers to creeping bugs, what a wonder it is to see the Creator's handiwork begin anew in spring!

All the trees of the forest will know 
that I the LORD bring down the tall tree 
and make the low tree grow tall. 
I dry up the green tree and make the dry tree flourish. 
“‘I the LORD have spoken, and I will do it.’”
Ezekiel 17:24

No comments:

Post a Comment