Thursday, August 14, 2008

Darn Socks

I love wearing socks. While others may look forward to donning sandals or going barefoot in the summertime, I prefer to keep the air conditioner blowing just enough to justify keeping my toes comfortably covered. This summer I have even occasionally sported the oh-so-stylish socks and sandals look while walking to the mailbox. When cooler weather comes, my indoor wardrobe includes black slippers over my white ankle length athletic socks. But this week, three of my favorite socks have suddenly developed holes. Apparently the heels of my most recent package of Hanes Her Way are all wearing out at the same time. And while I'm not one to ignore or repair my damaged socks, I do make use of them by turning them inside out and adding them to my rag collection - which at this point may actually be larger than the pile in my sock drawer.

So what Scripture could I possibly think of to discuss my holey socks? Believe it or not, I didn't have to think of one; the Lord provided one in my reading this morning:

He also says, "In the beginning, O Lord, you laid the foundations of the earth, and the heavens are the work of your hands. They will perish, but you remain; they will all wear out like a garment. You will roll them up like a robe; like a garment they will be changed. But you remain the same, and your years will never end." - Hebrews 1:10-12

How true that is! We live in a disposable world where everything wears out or breaks. Just last weekend, I cleaned out the laundry room closet, (it is literally a closet with a washer and dryer and shelves, but somehow the management at our apartment complex gets away with calling it a "laundry room") which is actually where I store my ever-expanding assortment of sock rags. On one of the cluttered shelves, I had stashed some damaged items, waiting for the day when I would figure out what to do with them. I decided to throw away the ripped tool bag as well as the rolled up bath mat that had somehow fused to itself, rendering it unusable. I wasn't sure what to do with the colorful children's CD player, complete with karaoke microphone, which worked consistently for only a month or two after we bought it. It seems too nice and new to throw away, but who wants a CD player that is already halfway broken? The junk collection also included a battery-operated bubble blower that stopped blowing bubbles several months ago, and it was impossible to overlook the oversize stuffed penguin who was thoroughly rubbed with Vick's Vapor Rub one day when Donny was supposed to be napping. I gave the penguin a long overdue bath and he was nearly as good as new, but I still filled a garbage bag with items destined for the dumpster. I also have a bag of outgrown and well-worn clothing waiting to be dropped off at the thrift store. We have been blessed with so much, but even the highest quality of earthly possessions cannot last forever. The foundations of the earth itself are destined to perish, and with them everything the world contains.

Like my socks and my children's broken toys, this world will be worn out and eventually discarded. It is so comforting to know that while everything else is passing away, our God remains unchanged forever. Why do I fret about anything that in the end will pass away? The only One who matters will never wear out, run out, break up, or break down. Whatever we find beneath our feet, we can know that He remains the same!

As I type this, I am noticing that the heel of my left sock is wearing thin. I guess I will need to buy a new package soon, or resign myself to wearing my second favorite brand. And maybe I should make some sock puppets for the children - we certainly have the supplies.

No comments:

Post a Comment