Sunday, August 3, 2008

Rainbow Reminder

We finally came home today. Although I really enjoyed our vacation, I was happy to finally relax in the comfort of my own familiar space. And look what God gave us to celebrate our homecoming:


And God said, "This is the sign of the covenant I am making between me and you and every living creature with you, a covenant for all generations to come: I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and the earth. Whenever I bring clouds over the earth and the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will remember my covenant between me and you and all living creatures of every kind. Never again will the waters become a flood to destroy all life. Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth."
Genesis 9:12-16

Rainbows are always a beautiful reminder of God's promise and faithfulness, but today, the rainbow inspired me to think more about the story of Noah, and even to feel like I could identify with him in some small way. Noah saw the rainbow after he left the ark, and we saw the rainbow after leaving our compact sedan, which was arguably nearly as crowded as Noah's floating zoo. In fact, as Don unpacked the abundance of bags and suitcases he had magically crammed into our small trunk, the pile on the living room floor bore a vague resemblance to Mount Ararat itself. Now, four hours later, I finally have the washer, dryer, and dishwasher running (a luxury that I can appreciate more after a week without one!). The floor and counters are clear, and the children are tucked into their own beds...well, they are at least in beds in their own home, since technically Hayden is on Donny's bed and Donny has moved to the floor. It is good to be home again.

As for Noah, can you imagine what the flood experience must have been like for his family? I can hardly fathom how they must have longed for their home, their friends, the sight of anything familiar, the sight of land itself! Here I am, grateful to see my own dishes in the cupboards, while Noah waited months just for the sight of an olive branch. I have so much to be thankful for, so many comforts that I enjoy daily. At any time, they could all be swept away. Yet I need not fear, for I know my Creator will watch over me and provide for my needs. He has set His rainbow in the clouds, and I am reminded that He is and will always be faithful.

No comments:

Post a Comment