Sunday, February 22, 2009

Children Are Always Blessings

Behold, children are a gift of the LORD,
The fruit of the womb is a reward.
Like arrows in the hand of a warrior,
So are the children of one's youth.
How blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them;
They will not be ashamed
When they speak with their enemies in the gate.

Psalm 127:3-5 NASB

Children are blessings. God's Word says that children are a gift and a reward, and since God cannot lie, we know His Word is true. So why do so many Christians feel comfortable rejecting these blessings by purposefully choosing not to conceive children?

If you have never contemplated this point before, or even if you have, I encourage you to read a thought-provoking post at Pursuing Titus 2 called "Blessings, But". If children are blessings, as the Bible says they are, then they are ALWAYS blessings. They are a gift even if we, in our limited knowledge and understanding, think otherwise.

Children are blessings.

Even if we don't feel ready...
Even if they came sooner than we expected...
Even if they aren't quite what we pictured for our perfect family...
Even if they have special physical, emotional, or financial needs that drain our resources...
Even when pregnancy leaves us sick and tired and wondering how to cope...
Even when they wake up at 3am. And 4am. And 5am...
Even when they spill their milk on the clean floor and rub peanut butter in their hair...
Even when they argue with their siblings just moments after being told to share and be kind...
Even when we have to change yet another diaper just as we were about to rush out the door to an appointment...and we're already running late...and they suddenly "forget" how to put on their own shoes...
Even when they start to eat more and more and we wonder how to afford the growing grocery bill...
Even when we can't afford to give them the new clothes, the extracurricular activities, or the fun gifts we would like to give them...
Even when we are exhausted and can't seem to find even a few moments' peace...
Even if we can't go out to eat, attend social events, or take vacations because our children's needs take priority...
Even when we feel stuck at home, or wonder if we can effectively serve God with children in tow...
Even if we think we can't possibly handle them. "We can't take anymore. We're done."...

God says that we are BLESSED.

Maybe it's easy for me to welcome the idea of more children while our family is still small. I have not yet faced the challenges of taking four children to the grocery store or cooking meals for a small army. For another perspective, check out Ruth's Thoughts on Family at the Snap-EZ Blog. Ruth is blessed with 11 children, her youngest daughter having been born with Down's Syndrome last September. I admire this woman who has embraced God's blessings for her family, and pray that God will pour out his blessings on Don and me in the same way!

And no, I don't think that God gave me some unique gift to be a mother of many children, if that is His Will. He simply has given me faith and a personal relationship with His son, and through HIS strength, I can do all things. I can look at the list above and still say, "Yes, Lord, please bless me with more children." The challenges and trials of raising little arrows for Him is what brings me to my knees, keeps me humble, and forces me to rely on my Lord. I am blessed not just with babies to snuggle and children to cherish, but with a stronger faith that comes from submitting my own will to His.

I do not know whether the Lord will choose to give us three children or five or ten or more. I do know that I want Him to make the decision about how many children we have and when they are conceived - not me. I want to view them the way their Heavenly Father sees them - not as inconveniences, but as treasures whom I am privileged to care for and nourish. He says that they are blessings, and I know, trust, and believe that His Word is true. Always.

5 comments:

  1. What a lovely post! I especially like the part about waking up at 3, and 4, and 5. Yup. Been there. :)

    And, of course, thanks for the gracious link.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for those encouraging words, Manda. I have been a little overwhelmed with the thoughts of 4...but, it's because I am thinking in terms of my own flesh, not His power in me! You spoke to my heart with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your poem! It is a blessing to read your heart as a mother.

    ReplyDelete
  4. But lets also not forget that there are many ways to have Children. There are some to whom God has given the desire to adopt. To give a loving home and strong family to children of his who otherwise may not have an earthy example of His love. We are all adopted in to the family of Christ through God's love for us, so this also must be a blessing from God if it is the way He made to bring us to Him. We have three lovely children and are drawn to extend our family through adoption, I believe that if God had meant biological only he would never have adopted us in to his family for he is never inconsistent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the encouraging comments! I absolutely agree that children who come through adoption are special blessings from God as well. No matter how they come into our families, I pray that more Christians would be open to receiving the blessings of children, and that we would treat them as the precious gifts from God that they are!

    ReplyDelete