Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The Praying Wife

I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone— for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. - 1 Timothy 2:1-2

Admittedly, I am not the perfect wife. My labors at frugal-yet-nutritious cooking may fail to impress my I-only-eat-because-I-have-to husband, who would rather consume Kraft Macaroni and Cheese with sliced hot dogs than any whole food recipe I could possibly concoct. My pregnant body, with its bulging belly and likewise bulging varicose veins, may fail to catch his eye even when draped in my nicest (but still hopelessly tent-like) maternity clothes. My daily efforts to teach, train and discipline our children may go unnoticed when they argue, disobey, and ignore my commands to come. It's easy to feel like a failure at the very jobs I consider to be my highest calling.

As I prayed through a particularly trying moment yesterday, the Lord convicted me that prayer for my husband needs to take greater priority. Not just prayer for our marriage in general, but instead, a concentrated time of praying God's will in my husband's life. Ironically, when I asked him later the same day what I could do to be a better helper to him, he responded with a question: "How often do you pray for me?" I answered, "Every day," which was truthful, for I do offer some snippet of prayer for him every day, whether for his protection as he goes off to work, or for his encouragement as I rub his back after a long day. But what I need, God has encouraged me, is to make my prayers more purposeful.

As his wife, it is my honor and privilege to keep my husband covered in prayer. Right now, I feel lead to have the children join in praying for Daddy, too. I may teach them to say grace five times a day, but how often do I model intercession for others? There are so many struggles and challenges that meet my husband and our marriage daily, and I believe more than a fleeting whisper of prayer is required to combat these threats. A few years ago, I read and prayed throughThe Power of a Praying® Wife by Stormie Omartian, a helpful tool that addresses specific prayer needs. In fact, I think I may pull it off the shelf and go through it again. I need to pray for my husband's spiritual growth, his role as the leader of our family, his protection from temptation, his physical and emotional health, his work and hobbies, his relationships with me and our children and others, and so many other areas. What a great responsibility to be entrusted with the task of carrying these requests to the Father!

In prayer, I must be cautious to pray not for my own will or desires to be granted, but that God's Will may be done in my husband's life. As the Lord shapes his character in answer to my petitions, I will only find myself more in love with this man whom God has given me. And in prayer, I will find that I too am convicted and changed and forced to grow. I pray that God will develop in me a more gentle and quiet spirit in order to win my husband without a word. May I grow in holiness so that, regardless of small failures, my husband will know I am the perfect wife for him.

Do you have regular times of purposeful prayer for your husband or those in authority? Will you join me in the journey to become a faithfully praying wife?

No comments:

Post a Comment