Sunday, February 8, 2009

Open House Tour

This weekend we hosted a housewarming party, and had a great time visiting with family and friends who came to see our new home. Since most of my readers couldn't be here in person, I thought you might enjoy a virtual tour in photographs. You can see the outside of the house in fall and winter, then step through the front door into the dining room...

The table and chairs belonged to my mom until we moved in...in fact, my grandfather built the table.


Turning right, you'll see the sunken living room with the built in entertainment center (which we of course had to get a TV for...it looked strange without it!) and the comfy new couch.


To the left of the dining room, you can step up into the kitchen. (The boys learned quickly to navigate the steps!) Previously a dull greenish color, the kitchen is now a very cheery red. We upgraded the appliances from a broken dishwasher, charred stove circa 1970, and cream colored side-by-side fridge to these matching Frigidaire appliances from Best Buy.


I wanted to paint the dingy yellowish hallway a warm, sunny color, and my interior decorator friend helped me pick out this June Day paint from Sherwin Williams. I love it!


The boys' room is conveniently located near the kitchen. I used pages from an old Dog Food calendar to make their border.



The bathroom has been my biggest project. We started by pulling the tracking off the tub where there once was a shower door and scraping off the residual glue. I bought a Lodge Stripe Shower Curtain to try to match the burgundy paint, but it didn't match after all, so I repainted instead. This Baby Turtle paint from Benjamin Moore coordinates perfectly with the shower curtain and makes the room seem much bigger and cleaner. I added green towels from Target, a bamboo shade, some wicker baskets, and a wooden stepstool to help the children reach the sink. I also bought a second shower curtain to make the curtains, which I hung using the existing hardware and a wooden dowel I found in the basement. And of course, Don installed the efficient new toilet.


The previous owners used this as the master bedroom. We painted the white walls a chocolatey brown and use it as our office. The blue loveseat under the window was the only couch in our apartment, so you can see what an upgrade the new sectional is.


And this oversized room, formerly used as a second living area, makes a perfect master bedroom and nursery for us!



I'll spare you the sight of the dusty basement and the snowy yard, but I hope you enjoyed this glimpse into the home God has blessed us with. And if you're in the area, do come visit us sometime!

When she and the members of her household were baptized, she invited us to her home. "If you consider me a believer in the Lord," she said, "come and stay at my house."
- Acts 16:15a

1 comment: